Recycling in North Fayette Township
Curbside Recycling - Acceptable Items
- Clean clear, green, and amber bottles and jars.
- Clean plastic containers marked with recycling symbol numbers 1 or 2 with lids removed.
- Clean steel, tin, bi-metal (steel and tin) cans and aluminum cans such as soda, vegetable, fruit, and tuna cans.
- Clean paper including newspapers and inserts (color and black & white), junk mail, phone books, magazines & brochures, copy & computer paper, catalogs, school paper, shredded paper, and envelopes.
- Flattened corrugated cardboard (packing tape from boxes must be removed). Excess cardboard and paper can be brought to the Township Building for recycling.
- Paperboard (cereal type boxes, gray on one side).
- Cardboard beverage containers (juice or milk containers with lids removed).
Items not Accepted for Curbside Recycling
- Plastics marked with recycling symbol numbers 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 and plastics not marked with a number.
- Pliable plastics such as grocery bags, newspaper bags, bread wrappers, sheet plastic, or plastic wrap. Plastic grocery bags can be brought back to your local supermarket for recycling.
- Any item contaminated with food waste including greasy pizza boxes.
- Yard waste including grass or leaves. Please click here for yard waste disposal information Opens a New Window. .
- Metal baking pans or cookware of any type.
- Styrofoam items.
- Paint cans or aerosol cans.
- Fast Food Containers.
- Light bulbs of any type.
- Window glass, mirrors, or decorative glass items such as vases or lamps.
- All types of batteries.
- All ceramics including dishware, ovenware, and decorative items.
- Electronic Waste. Please click here for electronic waste disposal information.
- Hazardous waste containers or needles.
- Motor oil containers.
- Items that can get tangled in sorting equipment (such as rubber hoses and wires).
- Bulky items such as propane tanks.
- Construction debris such as bricks, blocks, roofing material, doors, or windows.
- All car parts including tires, brakes, engine parts, oil filters, and windshield wipers.
- Any lumber including wood pallets or wood construction debris. Untreated wood can be taken to Wood Waste Recycling Opens a New Window. .
- Metal or plastic toys.
What’s a Recycling Symbol Number and Where do I find it?
Most plastic bottles and containers will be marked with a triangular recycling logo with a number in the middle. There may also be letters underneath the logo. Typically, this logo can be found on the bottom of the item.
Below is a chart is below that lists the symbols, what they mean, and whether each item can be included in your curbside recycling.
Excess Cardboard and Paper Recycling
If you have cardboard or paper items that will not fit in your recycle bin, they can be brought to the Township building and placed in the dumpster across from the police entrance (right side of building). Please flatten all cardboard before placing in the dumpster.
- Before placing items in the cart, ensure metal, glass, and plastic recyclables are clean and dry.
- Remove all lids and rings.
- If an item can be flattened, flatten it!
- Do not break glass.
- Do not use plastic liners, garbage bags, or plastic grocery bags in the cart.
- All recyclables can be placed together in your cart.
- You can mark your house number on your cart to easily identify it.
- All items must fit in the cart with the cart lid closed but not so tightly that it won’t freely dump when inverted.
- The handle of the cart must face your house, not the road.
- The cart must be 5 feet away from any object (mailboxes, garbage cans, cars, etc.) in every direction; left, right, behind, in front of, and overhead.
Listed below are links for additional hard to recycle item events around the Pittsburgh area. Please check these websites often as they continually add collection events throughout the year.
Hard to recycle items and household chemicals can be disposed of during events sponsored by Pennsylvania Resources Council (PRC).
The PRC can also be contacted by calling 412-488-7490 or via email Opens a New Window. .